I told you I was going to bare all, and I have realized how BIG that is! I’m not even sure I could do that in a blog post,…..but I’ll give it a small shot.
See, I grew up in a “not perfect” home. You too? Whew! *If you didn’t, I’d love to meet you!*
On the outside, I smiled. I always smiled. In fact, I had a friend in high school who called me, “Smiley”.
Are you one of those people? Are you always smiling regardless of what’s going on in your life? Okay, maybe I’m just seriously crazy. Well anyway, I’m that girl.
My theory,….just because I’m mad or frustrated with someone doesn’t mean I have to take it out on everyone else. No, my life is not perfect, but I firmly believe that no matter what I’ve got going on, there is ALWAYS someone out there who has it worse, therefore, I have NOTHING to complain about. I am simply grateful for everything and everyone in my life. That’s just how I roll.
When I told my children the title of my next post, …. Eyes grew large, eyebrows were raised, and I got one, “Gee, I’m glad I don’t read your blog.” (I think I was offended amused.)
See, as a mother of eight children, ….. I get asked A LOT of questions, A LOT!
Some of the most common/amusing are:
“Are they ALL yours?” (yep)
“Any sets of twins?” (nope)
“How do you do it?” (I don’t)
“Did you REALLY give birth to all of them?” (yep)
“Do you homeschool too?” (Yes, when God calls me to it, I do!)
“Wow! You have eight kids, and you are still smiling!?!?!!” (this is a good one!)
*I’ve said to my children, “I’d love to see the picture in people’s heads when they hear I’m the mother of eight children. It must be an awful picture of some miserable woman because they always seem so surprised that I’m happy.”
I also receive A LOT of comments. Some, very unwanted,…all unsolicited.
“You know, there IS a way to stop this.” (yep.)
“You do know what’s causing this right?” (duh)
“You must be Mormon or Catholic.” (Sorry to disappoint, neither. Born again Christian, thank you.)
“Girl, you need this wine WAY more than me!” (maybe)
One time, an Avon lady stopped by our home, knocked at the door and said, “I see you have a daycare here (toys in the yard), so I was wondering if you’d be interested in doing a fundraiser!?!?” (I don’t think so.)
**You CANNOT imagine the laughs I’ve gotten from some of these!!
However, …. I also have to admit that once, ONLY ONCE, I was so “all done” with the questions and comments (and I was having a bad day), I DID reply with more than a polite smile. In fact, I down right embarrassed the guy. (Okay, he deserved it. And besides, my husband IS a good looking man!)
The bottom line is, it is all relative.
Yes, I have eight children. All of which I received one at a time. (God bless Kate Gosselin.)
Whether you have eight children, three children, one child, no children,……your situation is just right for YOU!
How do I know that? Well, I know that each and every one of us is created for a purpose. Mine might be to be a mother of eight children and yours might be to be that amazing person who runs a medical center or programs a computer or defends our country! I can’t do your job and you can’t do mine. And that is okay.
Whatever you are called to do, just be the best you can be!
Now, typically, when people ask me, “how do you do it?” I respond, “I don’t. I just show up every day and let God do the rest.”
But for you, my very special readers,….I am going to share my top tips that I use (and anyone can use) to get through a busy day filled with children (or work, or whatever you do) in order to not completely lose your mind. 😉
1) Plan ahead! Whether it’s meals, budgeting, travelling, …… plan ahead! I firmly believe that when you do not plan ahead, when you are not organized, it will ALWAYS cost you time and money!
2) Have a schedule/routine. Even if you don’t stick to it faithfully, at least you’ll have a guide and know where to “jump back in” if you get off track. Okay, so I’m a little “structured”. I have schedules posted, specific ways to do things, and I make lists for everything! *When my oldest was in First grade, his teacher said she needed to make sure all of the students remembered everything she had told them that day. My sweet son said, “You should call my mommy, she can teach you how to make a list.” ;) *don’t worry, cancer taught me about being ‘flexible’. *sigh*
3) Know your strengths AND your weaknesses. I have always been a “reactor”. So, that makes me prone to be a “yelling mom”. I know, I hate it. I’m just full of energy, loud, and so I’m passionate,…..about everything. However, I’m very good at admitting my weaknesses, apologizing, and working hard at changing. My ultimate goal is to model Christ-likeness as much as possible. After all, some people will never know the love of Jesus except through me, and I want them to see that He is a generous, loving, gracious, and merciful God.
4) Try new things. Remember, if you keep on doing the same thing the same way,…you ARE going to get the same results! Try something new and see what happens! 😉
5) NEVER GIVE UP! I may be a lot of things, but I’ll tell you one thing, I was raised by one determined woman who worked hard and taught me to NEVER give up! My kids translate that to “go BIG or go home”,….. and we typically have some type of competition going on,……. BUT you only have one life to live,…..so LIVE IT WELL! 😉
Do I do it all perfectly every day? Oh heck no! And I live with nine other people who will confirm that. I am not perfect, nor will I ever be, and I am a sinner.” *Sorry to let y’all down, but this is the real deal!
I am always on the go, I usually have several projects going, and I’m known to forget to eat and get frazzled when my blood sugar drops and I just can’t think. Ugh, I hate that too. Fortunately, I love to cook, so there is always something yummy I can grab quickly and keep on going! 😉
BUT,…..you can bet, without a doubt, that I will be there for you when you need me. You can bet, without a doubt, that if you need a cheerleader, I’m your gal! You can bet, without a doubt, that if I can help someone in some way, I will.
I love my family, I love my God, and I love my life! I’m the mom rockin’ out in the car to some really cool Christian tunes, singing out loud, and not embarrassed when the guy at the stop light is staring. 😉
I will do everything I can to live my life to bring glory and honor to my wonderful savior, Jesus Christ.
Keepin’ it real,